SmartMummy: An Interactive Forum on Healthy Lifestyle for Improved Hair and Skincare for Young Mothers
Rohto Mentholatum (K) Ltd launched a chill out forum dubbed SmartMummy in May for young mothers in Kenya to enhance their know-how on different food groups that give a glowing skin look and a healthy hair. The aims to share lessons on the impact of good nutrition on skin and hair and also to identify skin and hair care products that contain natural nutrients that spark a clear skin and healthy hair.
The first event of SmartMummy was anchored on the need to blend good nutrition and cosmetic products to improve hair and skin among the targeted users-young mothers. The forum’s name was carefully coined as SmartMummy because mothers play a pivotal role on the choice of nutrition and diet that families eat on a daily basis. The mothers go an extra mile to ensure that families are healthy and are eating nutritious food, rich in different nutrients for enhanced well-being.
The genesis of SmartMummy forum was necessitated by the increasing skin and hair conditions such as acne, dandruff, hair loss, dry skin, wrinkles, and sun damage, among others. This can be very upsetting for young mothers who care about how they look and are struggling to find a solution to their problematic skin.
The first forum was hosted by Kenya’s celebrated cook, Susan Kamau, the CEO Kenyan Kitchen and Consultant Cook who offered nutrition tips for the mothers on foods that enhance good skin and hair. “You are what you eat — at least when it comes to the wellbeing of your skin and hair,” Susan told the mothers.
Simple Recipes for a homemade nutritious food
Fruit Infused Punch Drink
Ingredients: 2 LITRES OF WATER, 1ripe mango cubed, ½ ripe pineapple, handful of ripe strawberries chopped, 1lemon sliced, ½ tsp. ginger crushed, sugar or syrup to taste.
Method: mix all ingredients into the water and set aside for half an hour. Makes 7glasses Skewered Beef& Cucumber Roast Ingredients: 250g beef fillet cubes, 1 head broccoli into florets, 1 cucumber cubed, 1 ripe mango cubed, 1 cup peanut butter, ½ tsp black pepper, 2tsp Worcestershire sauce, 1tsp garlic crushed, ¼ cup olive oil, salt to taste
Method: separately steam meat half-done and steam broccoli until just crunchy. Drain and set aside. In a bowl mix peanut, pepper, Worcestershire, garlic, oil and salt. Stir meat, veggies and fruit into the peanut m ix and set aside for 10minutes. Skewer the pieces and roas5t until cooked.
Whole Peanut& Broccoli Quiche
Ingredients: 125g raw whole peanuts, 125g brocco9lli, 11/2 cups milk, 1/3 self-rising flour, 4eggs, 11/2 cups cheddar cheese grated, 1 stalk leek sliced, 1tsp garlic crushed, 1tsp black pepper, salt to taste Method: Preheat oven to 200?C. Grease a 5cup capacity pie dish or muffin tray. Combine peanuts, broccoli, leek, cheese, flour, salt and pepper in a bowl. Scatter over base of dish/tray. Whisk eggs and milk together and pour over peanut mixture. Cook for 40minutes or until puffy and golden. Serves 4.
Dreamy Avocado Pudding
Ingredients: 2ripe avocados, 300ml milk, 3tbs sugar, 200ml water Method:
Mix all ingredients in a blender. Pour into glasses and chill. Serves 3.
Through SmartMummy forum, Rohto Mentholatum (K) Ltd is committed to foster healthy lifestyles among the Kenyan population through young mothers to keep and improve mother’s health and well-being.
Here is a day’s nutrition tip for a healthy skin and hair.
Below are seven foods that will help improve the health of the skin and hair:
- Broccoli is known to be hearty and tasty vegetable which is rich in a variety of nutrients. This vegetable helps the skin to glow and look youthful while giving a good texture and shine to the hair.
- Nuts especially peanuts are very popular snacks in Kenya. The omega-6 fatty acids and the vitamin B7/biotin in nuts help prevent hair fall and strengthen hair follicles while hydrating and nourishing the skin.
- Soy foods are high in protein, calcium, fibre, folic acid, B vitamins, potassium and iron. These are nutrients and vitamins essential for healthy hair.
- Avocados go well with almost any meal. They are a good source of biotin and help prevent dry skin and brittle hair and nails as well as hydrate parched skin.
- Spinach and kale contain a good amount of calcium, magnesium, and potassium. These minerals are crucial to the health of your nails, hair and skin. They’re also water-rich so they won’t dehydrate the body. They also provide an alkaline environment to clear out toxins in the body.
- Tomatoes are the best source of the anti-aging antioxidant lycopene. Lycopene in tomatoes is more easily absorbed by your body when it is cooked or processed.
- Sweet potatoes are high in beta-carotene, an antioxidant that fights aging. Beta carotene is ideal for healthy hair and supple glowing skin.